Meeting of the Committee of Academic Sponsors
Friday, March 6, 2009, *8:30 a.m. -- Location: Simons Auditorium, MSRI, 17 Gauss Way, Berkeley, CA 94720
*Coffee and Pastries in the Atrium, 8:30-9:15 a.m. & Lunch in the Atrium, 12:00-1:00pm
9:30-10:30am "What's going on in Algebraic Geometry" -- Dan Abramovich
11:00-12:00pm Postdoctoral Fellows at MSRI -- Robert Eastman & Aravind Asok
12:00-1:00pm Lunch in the Atrium
1:00-2:30pm BUSINESS MEETING
* Welcome to new Academic Sponsors -- Morris Kalka
* Approval of minutes from the March 2, 2008 meeting
* Ratification of election of new Trustees
* Math Circles: Update
* Sponsoring Institutions – updating the list of contacts: Robert Bryant
* The MSRI Summer Graduate Workshops of 2009 -- Hélène Barcelo
* Programs and Workshops Update -- Hélène Barcelo
3:00-5:00pm Panel: Loek Helminck (NCSU), John Meakin (Kansas), Phil Kutzko (Iowa) and Dean Evasius (NSF)
"Attracting and retaining majors and graduate students and successful summer programs at universities."
Presentations and a panel discussion concerning strategies and opportunities.
6:00pm Annual Banquet for Trustees and Sponsors
International House, 2299 Piedmont Avenue, Berkeley (at the corner of Piedmont Avenue and Bancroft Way), Chevron Auditorium; Robert Lang, Guest Speaker: "From Flapping Birds to Space Telescopes: Math and Origami"