- To setup your Gmail account to use IMAP, sign in to your Gmail account and go to Mail.
- Click the Settings button in the upper, right corner of the window and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- On the Settings screen, click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Scroll down to the IMAP Access section and select Enable IMAP.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the screen.
- Close your browser and open Outlook. To begin adding your Gmail account, click the File tab.
- On the Account Information screen, click Add Account.
- On the Add Account dialog box, you can choose the E-mail Account option which automatically sets up your Gmail account in Outlook. To do this, enter your name, email address, and the password for your Gmail account twice. Click Next.
- The progress of the setup displays. The automatic process may or may not work.
- If the automatic process fails, select Manual setup or additional server types, instead of E-mail Account, and click Next.
- On the Choose Service screen, select POP or IMAP and click Next.
On the POP and IMAP Account Settings enter the User, Server, and Logon Information. For the Server Information, select IMAP from the Account Type drop-down list and enter the following for the incoming and outgoing server information:
- Incoming mail server: imap.googlemail.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.googlemail.com
Make sure you enter your full email address for the User Name and select Remember password if you want Outlook to automatically log you in when checking email. Click More Settings.
- On the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box, click the Outgoing Server tab. Select the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and make sure the Use same settings as my incoming mail server option is selected.
While still in the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box, click the Advanced tab. Enter the following information:
- Incoming server: 993
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server encrypted connection TLS
- Outgoing server: 587
NOTE: You need to select the type of encrypted connection for the outgoing server before entering 587 for the Outgoing server (SMTP) port number. If you enter the port number first, the port number will revert back to port 25 when you change the type of encrypted connection.
Click OK to accept your changes and close the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box.
- Click Next.
- Outlook tests the accounts settings by logging into the incoming mail server and sending a test email message. When the test is finished, click Close.
- You should see a screen saying “You’re all set!”. Click Finish.