|Registration Deadline:||October 31, 2008 almost 6 years ago|
|To apply for Funding you must register by:||August 03, 2008 about 6 years ago|
|Parent Program:||Ergodic Theory and Additive Combinatorics|
- Jean Bourgain (Institute for Advanced Study)
- Emmanuel Breuillard (Université Paris-Sud (Orsay))
- Mei-Chu Chang (University of California)
- Manfred Einsiedler (Eidgenössische TH Zürich-Hönggerberg)
- Nikos Frantzikinakis
- Hillel Furstenberg (Hebrew University)
- Alexander Gamburd (University of California, Santa Cruz)
- Timothy Gowers
- Harald Helfgott (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS))
- Bernard Host
- James Lee
- Elon Lindenstrauss (Hebrew University)
- Ryan O'Donnell
- Tom Sanders
- Peter Sarnak (Princeton University)
- Terence Tao (University of California, Los Angeles)
- Luca Trevisan
- Adrian Ubis
- Akshay Venkatesh (Stanford University)
- Avi Wigderson
- Julia Wolf
- Tamar Ziegler (Hebrew University)
We explore environments in which rigid structural information can be deduced from rather soft combinatorial hypotheses. There will be a particular focus on finite and quantitative questions, although an important aspect of the workshop will be to explore connections with corresponding infinite and qualitative questions in ergodic theory, where as a general rule more is known. Topics include (but are not be limited to) the following.
- Freiman's theorem concerning the structure of sets with small doubling;
- The Gowers Inverse Conjecture, concerning the structure of sets containing many parallelepipeds;
- Finite versions of Ratner's theorem, concerning the structure of finite unipotent orbits in dynamical systems.
Accommodations: A block of rooms has been reserved at the Rose Garden Inn. Reservations may be made by calling 1-800-992-9005 OR directly on their website. Click on “Reservations and Availability” then click on “Corporate” at the bottom of the screen and enter the word “math”. Enter Group Code CGMS67 in the “Guest Comment” box, and provide requested information The cut-off date for reservations is October 17, 2008. A block of rooms has been reserved at the Hotel Durant. Please mention the workshop name and reference the following code when making reservations via phone, fax or e-mail: BQ0000. The cut-off date for reservations is October 3, 2008.
To apply for funding, you must register by the funding application deadline displayed above.
Students, recent Ph.D.'s, women, and members of underrepresented minorities are particularly encouraged to apply. Funding awards are typically made 6 weeks before the workshop begins. Requests received after the funding deadline are considered only if additional funds become available.
MSRI has preferred rates at the Rose Garden Inn, depending on room availability. Reservations may be made by calling 1-800-992-9005 OR directly on their website. Click on Corporate at the bottom of the screen and when prompted enter code MATH (this code is not case sensitive). By using this code a new calendar will appear and will show the MSRI rate on all room types available.
MSRI has preferred rates at the Hotel Durant. Reservations may be made by calling 1-800-238-7268. When making reservations, guests must request the MSRI preferred rate. If you are making your reservations on line, please go to this link and enter the promo/corporate code 123MSRI. Our preferred rate is $139 per night for a Deluxe Queen/King, based on availability.
MSRI has preferred rates of $149 - $189 plus tax at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza, depending on room availability. Guests can either call the hotel's main line at 510-845-7300 and ask for the MSRI- Mathematical Science Research Inst. discount; or go to www.hotelshattuckplaza.com and click Book Now. Once on the reservation page, click “Promo/Corporate Code“ and input the code: msri.
MSRI has preferred rates of $110 - $140 at the Berkeley Lab Guest House, depending on room availability. Reservations may be made by calling 510-495-8000 or directly on their website. Select “I am an individual traveler affiliated with MSRI”.
Additional lodging options may be found on our short term housing page.
Nov 03, 2008
Nov 04, 2008
Nov 05, 2008
Nov 06, 2008
Nov 07, 2008