Click here to see a list of confirmed speakers.
Algebraic Geometry is one of the most diverse areas of mathematics. Due to the breadth of the subject it is often a challenge for graduate students and people from other fields to get a global view of current developments in the field. Algebraic Geometry has grown dramatically over the past century, with new subfields constantly branching off. The core of the field is now universally called Classical Algebraic Geometry, an exciting area itself full of fundamental unsolved problems and at the same time providing a theoretical foundation for the areas that have developed in recent years.
The main theme of the workshop will be to explore modern approaches to problems originating in Classical Algebraic Geometry, and at the same time offer an introduction to various subfields to the younger participants in the semester-long program. Topics will include:
- Birational geometry: minimal model program, singularities of pairs, linear series, classification of surfaces of general type.
- Moduli spaces of curves: intersection theory, cones of ample and effective divisors, limit linear series.
- Moduli spaces of vector bundles: intersection theory on Quot schemes, Strange Duality, generalized theta divisors.
- Abelian varieties: Schottky problem, analytic methods, Fourier-Mukai transform.
- Rational curves on algebraic varieties: rational connectedness, behavior in families, rationality.
Primary Mathematics Subject Classification
No Primary AMS MSC
Secondary Mathematics Subject Classification
No Secondary AMS MSC
Bibliography (PDF 27KB)
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Rose Garden Inn. Reservations may be made by calling 1-800-992-9005 OR directly on their website. Click on Corporate at the bottom of the screen and when prompted enter code MATH (this code is not case sensitive). By using this code a new calendar will appear and will show MSRI rate on all room types available.
The cut-off date for reservations is January 9, 2009.
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Hotel Durant. Please mention the workshop name and reference the following code when making reservations via phone, fax or e-mail: M00000. The cut-off date for reservations is December 26, 2008. Room Rate $159/ night.