Family Services Consultant Announcement
Revised January 20, 2023
The Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, doing business as (d.b.a.) Simons Laufer Mathematical Sciences Institute, is seeking a Family Services Consultant to proactively guide visiting mathematicians in finding schools, childcare, and kid-friendly activities in Berkeley.
The Original Q&A and application deadlines have been extended.
Proposals must be submitted no later than 9:00 AM Pacific Time, on February 1, 2023.
The deadline to submit questions is 9:00 AM on January 26, 2023.
All Questions and their Answers will be posted on this webpage on Friday, January 27, 2023.
An announcement about this opportunity (in an alternate format) is posted below.
Family Services Consultant Needed
Are you familiar with the Berkeley School District and other services for childcare?
Would you like to help visiting researchers traveling with their families get connected with a school, find daycare or a nanny?
Would you like to earn money doing this on a part-time basis? This is an ideal opportunity for a person with an intimate knowledge of the Berkeley public school system, child care providers in the community, and the needs of families traveling together. The flexibility to arrange your own schedule is compatible if you are a parent of school-aged children.
The Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI), DBA Simons Laufer Mathematical Sciences is looking for someone to provide these services as a contractor.
The expected effort will be 20 - 45 hours per month, depending on the season and the needs of the incoming researchers. You will receive a fixed monthly amount for your efforts and will be classified as an independent contractor. In other words, you will not be paid by the hour, but instead will charge us the same amount each month regardless of how many or how few hours it takes.
Here are the types of things you will be doing:
- Develop and maintain relationships with local childcare providers and schools.
- Identify and research potential new providers.
- Proactively reach out to invitees who may be weighing the pros and cons of visiting with their children.
- Review information from members with young children requesting assistance with finding childcare ie. nanny, daycare, babysitter, preschool, etc.
- Review information from members with older children requesting assistance with enrolling their children in school.
- Contact each member who has requested assistance to gather additional information as needed. Discusses their needs and concerns with them.
- Connect the members with names of schools and providers, which can require a more intensive hands-on customer-service approach in the beginning.
- If the member is interested in a specific school, work with the SLMath Housing Assistant to confirm that their housing is in the correct location to allow them to attend.
- Assist the parent in processing the paperwork needed to enroll the children in school.
- If members desire a nanny share, introduce the parties to help facilitate it.
- Organize a family potluck at the beginning of each semester.
- Assist summer visitors in a similar way and include information about day camps.
- Assist members with locating equipment that may be needed (such as cribs).
The anticipated start date for this contract is March 1, 2023
Please respond to RFP@msri.org by 9 AM Pacific Time on February 1, 2023 with the following materials in PDF format:
- Your resume
- A cover letter telling us how you would help researchers navigate the school and childcare environment in Berkeley (1-2 pages)
- Your monthly fee for providing the services (1 page)
- At least three references and their contact information (1 page)
Proposals will be reviewed and considered by February 8, 2023. During this time, interviews will be conducted. Once notified, the final candidate will engage in a negotiation before a contract is offered.
- Review and download the revised RFP
- Review and download the original RFP.