The directorate and staff of MSRI are deeply saddened to announce the passing of Dr. Isadore M. Singer, Emeritus Institute Professor in the Department of Mathematics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and a Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at the University of California, Berkeley, on February 11, 2021.
In addition to his tremendous legacy in the scientific community, Dr. Singer was one of the triumvirate, with Shiing-Shen Chern and Cal Moore, who founded MSRI, and was the first Chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee, setting in place many of the ideas that have served MSRI so well over these nearly 40 years.
A number of tributes to Dr. Singer's life and legacy in mathematical physics are linked below.
- MIT News: Institute Professor Emeritus Isadore Singer, renowned mathematician who united math and physics, dies at 96
- New York Times: Isadore Singer, Who Bridged a Gulf From Math to Physics, Dies at 96
- Celebratio Mathematica volume: Isadore M. Singer, featuring a complete bibliography
- Simons Foundation: Science Lives video interview with Isadore Singer (produced by Zala Films)
- Quanta Magazine: Isadore Singer Transcended Mathematical Boundaries, by MSRI Trustee Dan Freed (University of Texas at Austin)