The computers of MSRI are provided to facilitate the research, education and administrative efforts of its membership and staff. To this end the Computing Department provides support in networking and information resources for its computing community.
Every member* of MSRI is entitled to the full use of any MSRI Technology Resource** that resides in a publicly accessible area or member office at the Institute as long as this usage is in compliance with Institute policy and all local, state and federal laws governing telecommunication . Please note that failure to comply may result in the closure of an account, with further discretionary action taken by the Director of the Institute, as necessary.
In the effort to protect the integrity of the MSRI network and its systems any proof of unauthorized or illegal use of any MSRI computer and/or its accounts will warrant the immediate access to these files, accounts and/or systems by the Computing staff. This is the only time that such an action will be taken without the express consent of the owner of said file/account/system.
Please note that this policy and code of conduct applies to anyone, including members, staff, guests of MSRI, that use MSRI's facilities.
Institute Policy Prohibits the use of its Technology Resources to:
- Send email using someone else's identity (Email forgery)
- Take any action that knowingly will interfere with the normal operation of the MSRI network, its systems, peripherals and/or access to external networks
- Install any system or software on the network without prior approval
- Install any software systems or hardware that will knowingly install a virus, trojan horse, worm or any other known or unknown destructive mechanism
- Attempt IP spoofing
- Attempt the unauthorized downloading, posting or dissemination of copyrighted materials
- Attempt any unauthorized downloading of software from the Internet
- Transmit personal comments or statements in a manner that may be mistaken as the position of the Institute
- Access, create, transmit (send or receive) print or download material that is discriminatory, derogatory, defamatory, obscene, sexually explicit, offensive or harassing based on gender, race, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation or any other status protected by state and federal laws
Please bear in mind that it is the Institute's position that all messages sent and received, including personal messages, and all data and information stored on the Institute's electronic mail system, voicemail system, or computer systems are Institute property regardless of the content. As such, the Institute reserves the right to access, inspect, and monitor the usage of all of its Technology Resources including any files or messages stored on those Resources, at any time, in its sole discretion in order to determine compliance with its policies, for purposes of legal proceedings, to investigate misconduct, to locate information, or for any other business purpose.
Although the Institute does not wish to examine personal information, on occasion, the Institute may need to access its Technology Resources including computer files, electronic mail messages, and voicemail messages. MSRI will try it's utmost to protect the privacy of its members, but persons should please understand, that they have no right of privacy with respect to any messages or information created or maintained on the Institute's Technology Resources, including personal information or messages, and files or messages that were maintained on the Institute's Technology Resources but subsequently deleted.
* A Member is a visitor who has registered with MSRI and has been given a status of General Member (GM), Postdoc, Student Associate, Research Professor (RP), Key Senior (KS) or Organizer.
** MSRI Technology Resources include all or in part: desktop computers, laptops, hardware, software, printers, modems, fax machines, copiers, telephones, cellular phones, voicemail and electronic mail.