|Registration Deadline:||March 20, 2020 7 days ago|
|To apply for Funding you must register by:||January 01, 2020 3 months ago|
|Location:||MSRI: Simons Auditorium, Atrium|
- David Ayala (Montana State University)
- Xie Chen (California Institute of Technology)
- Emily Cliff (University of Sydney)
- Xingshan Cui (Purdue University)
- Michael Freedman (University of California, San Diego)
- Nathan Geer (Utah State University)
- Nicolle Gonzalez (University of California, Los Angeles)
- Owen Gwilliam (University of Massachusetts Amherst)
- Nicholas Jewell (University of California, Berkeley)
- Theo Johnson-Freyd (Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics)
- David Jordan (University of Edinburgh)
- Sonia Natale (Universidad Nacional de Córdoba )
- Dmitri Nikshych (University of New Hampshire)
- Mark Penney (University of Waterloo)
- Julia Plavnik (Indiana University)
- David Reutter (Max-Planck-Institut für Mathematik)
- Christoph Schweigert (Universität Hamburg)
- Noah Snyder (Indiana University)
- Catharina Stroppel (Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn)
- Kevin Walker (Microsoft Research Station Q)
Link to stream workshop: https://msri.zoom.us/j/226801541
***Due to the COVID-19 virus outbreak, the 2020 Tensor categories and topological quantum field theories workshop will no longer be held onsite at MSRI, rather it will take place online from March 16-20 as scheduled***
The decision to move this workshop online is based on the available scientific data on COVID-19, and the strong advice from experts to avoid gatherings of large groups.
A formal Notice of Change letter is available here, which can be shared with your institution, funding agency, and others.
The workshop will concern the latest developments in the mathematical study of quantum field theories. The focus will be on the interplay among topics such as higher category theory, as illustrated by the cobordism hypothesis, conformal field theory, tensor categories describing the quantum symmetries, and the relation to topological phases of matter.
topological field theory
low dimensional topology
modular tensor categories
conformal field theory
mapping class groups
To apply for funding, you must register by the funding application deadline displayed above.
Students, recent Ph.D.'s, women, and members of underrepresented minorities are particularly encouraged to apply. Funding awards are typically made 6 weeks before the workshop begins. Requests received after the funding deadline are considered only if additional funds become available.
MSRI does not hire an outside company to make hotel reservations for our workshop participants, or share the names and email addresses of our participants with an outside party. If you are contacted by a business that claims to represent MSRI and offers to book a hotel room for you, it is likely a scam. Please do not accept their services.
MSRI has preferred rates at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza, depending on room availability. Guests can call the hotel's main line at 510-845-7300 and ask for the MSRI- Mathematical Science Research Institute discount. To book online visit this page (the MSRI rate will automatically be applied).
MSRI has preferred rates at the Graduate Berkeley, depending on room availability. Reservations may be made by calling 510-845-8981. When making reservations, guests must request the MSRI preferred rate. Enter in the Promo Code MSRI123 (this code is not case sensitive).
MSRI has preferred rates at the Berkeley Lab Guest House, depending on room availability. Reservations may be made by calling 510-495-8000 or directly on their website. Select "Affiliated with the Space Sciences Lab, Lawrence Hall of Science or MSRI." When prompted for your UC Contact/Host, please list Chris Marshall (email@example.com).
MSRI has a preferred rates at Easton Hall and Gibbs Hall, depending on room availability. Guests can call the Reservations line at 510-204-0732 and ask for the MSRI- Mathematical Science Research Inst. rate. To book online visit this page, select "Request a Reservation" choose the dates you would like to stay and enter the code MSRI (this code is not case sensitive).
Additional lodging options may be found on our short term housing page.
Mar 16, 2020
Mar 17, 2020
Mar 18, 2020
Mar 19, 2020
Mar 20, 2020