Receptionist (40 hours/week, Non-exempt) - Posted July 26, 2021
Receptionist (Non-exempt 40 hours per week)
The Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) in Berkeley seeks a Receptionist for a full-time, non-exempt position at 40 hours per week. The Receptionist reports directly to the Program Manager and is the first administrative point of contact for all visitors to MSRI. They are responsible for creating a welcoming environment and enhancing our guest’s experiences during their visits to MSRI. Additionally, they assist with various office responsibilities as part of the administrative team. The Receptionist position is essential to the operation of the Institute. (Download job posting as a PDF)
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform office reception and phone switchboard duties
- Provide administrative support to members, workshop participants and staff
- Generate check-in materials, distribute office keys and update members' database files
- Generate member ID cards
- Record workshop attendance
- Serve as primary staff at workshop receptions
- Attend to visitor requests and coordinate resolution with other staff as needed
- Collect visitor documents and reimbursement paperwork
- Assist visitors through the checkout process: collecting keys, refunding key deposits and assuring that exit surveys have been completed
- Maintain msri.org patron database - deleting/merging new profiles on a daily basis
- Schedule seminars and email information to members
- Upload video information into national database
- Set-up afternoon teas for members
- Prepare workshop materials such as badges, schedules, forms, posters etc.
- Perform other general office projects, as requested
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree, or equivalency is preferred.
- Experience in day-to-day operations of a service organization; experience within an academic environment desirable.
- Foreign language knowledge is desirable, but not a must.
- This position relies on strong computer skills, which include working with email, utilizing MS Office suite (Word, Excel), Google suite and Adobe Acrobat.
- Some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling.
- Positive customer-service approach
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good attention to detail
- Very organized, structured and efficient
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks
- Ability to independently problem solve
- Accustomed to working as part of a team
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$19 - $23 per hour. This is a full-time, non-exempt position with a competitive benefits package. Salary commensurate with experience
This position is partially funded through a grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your intention to apply by responding to this ad (via email) using the subject line MSRI Receptionist addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include as attachments (in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat file format), the following 4 items of information. Only complete applications will be considered.
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
- Date available
The Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) is one of the world’s preeminent centers for research in the mathematical sciences and has been advancing knowledge through mathematical research since 1982. It is located near Grizzly Peak Boulevard, with spectacular views of San Francisco Bay and the UC Berkeley Campus.
MSRI brings foremost mathematical scientists from around the world to work together in an environment that promotes creativity and effective collaboration. Located in a place of great natural beauty overlooking the San Francisco Bay, the Institute hosts some 1,700 mathematicians each year, for stays of up to one academic year. The Institute works for inclusiveness, and has many programs designed to enhance the participation of women and under-represented minorities.