You may want to make a substantial gift to the Institute in the form of appreciated securities or cash, but perhaps you are hesitant to give up the steady income which you are receiving. If so, you may choose to consider participating in one of our life income plans. Investing in a life income gift often provides a significant increase in annual income when compared to the income earned in a savings account or from current dividends. Planned gifts include annuities, trusts, and bequests.
The advantages of planned giving are:
- You can receive an income for life
- Your funds can receive professional management while you relieve yourself of investment management responsibilities
- You can reap the benefits of a charitable contribution income tax deduction
- You can eliminate the capital gains tax if the gifted asset has appreciated in value
- You have an opportunity to provide a lifetime income for a family member or friend
- You may reduce your taxable estate.
- You may provide a named or memorial gift to the Institute which would not be possible with a smaller outright gift
- You may increase your income if an unproductive gift of securities or property is made to a trust or pooled income fund
For more information:
Annie Averitt (510-643-6056, firstname.lastname@example.org), MSRI's Director of Advancement and External Communications, is available to work with prospective donors and the donor's legal or financial advisors to help make planned giving arrangements.
MSRI Development and Alumni Relations web pages are not intended as tax advice.
Know that individual financial circumstances require specific professional guidance. Please contact your legal and financial advisors to see how these general issues apply to you.