Application Deadline: December 1, 2017
For 2018-19, MSRI will appoint 6-10 Postdoctoral Fellowships to each of the programs. Fellowship applications are reviewed by program organizers and the Human Resources Advisory Committee, who recommend finalists to the Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) for approval at its January meeting. Awards will be announced by early February.
These awards provide support for five months. The fellowship stipend is currently $6,000 per month, with a travel subsidy for one round-trip from your current institution, and a research travel budget of $600. Health insurance is also provided. Postdoctoral Fellows cannot receive any other monetary compensation during their PD fellowship at MSRI. In addition, MSRI's postdoctoral program has some endowed fellowships. There is no need to apply separately for these positions which carry a monthly stipend of $7,000 per month and a research travel budget of $600 for one semester. Awards will be made competitively, from nominees submitted by the organizing committees of the programs.
Junior researchers who will be in their second or third year of an NSF postdoctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply for an MSRI postdoctoral fellowship. Such researchers are welcome to apply for a regular research membership, specifying that they are an NSF postdoctoral Fellow. For junior researchers who are simultaneously applying for a postdoctoral fellowship at the NSF and at MSRI, the following rules apply:
- The NSF application must include MSRI as a possible site for research
- As part of the NSF application, the proposed mentor must describe in his/her letter of support why and how being at MSRI for the duration of the program would be beneficial to the postdoctoral fellow
- The MSRI application must mention the separate application to the NSF
- Fellows must hold a Ph.D. in mathematics at the beginning of the program
- The Ph.D. must have been awarded on or after August 1, 2013
- Fellows must be in residence for the duration of the program (no exception possible)
- Fellows cannot receive any other monetary compensation during their fellowship at MSRI
The application is to be completed online at the MathJobs website. Please carefully read the instructions on the website before completing the form. Be sure to specify the program to which you are applying on MathJobs. The application must include a statement explaining the scientific basis of a postdoctoral fellowship at MSRI. All applications will be reviewed by the Scientific Advisory Committee, Human Resources Advisory Committee, and Program Organizers.
Submit the following items online at the MathJobs site:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Publication List
- Statement of Purpose
- 3 Reference Letters (to be submitted by the reference writers)
Important Note: The Complementary Program has a limited number of memberships that are open to mathematicians who are partners of invited members of a core program. Interested partners should apply for the position of Research Members in the Complementary Program through MathJobs www.mathjobs.org/jobs/
Awards will be announced by early February 2018. MSRI asks applicants' consideration in not phoning or emailing the Institute regarding the status of their applications before March 2018.