People who do and use mathematics often have fascinating stories and adventures to tell related to their work; and partly because their work itself is often hard for non-mathematicians to comprehend, these stories can have a special interest. Sometimes mathematicians' experiences are as unusual as those of the homeless but much-loved and celebrated Paul Erdős; sometimes their adventures are as unusual as astronaut Michael Foale's rescuing of the Mir space station.
As part of MSRI's commitment to telling the story of mathematics, we have produced a number of films about mathematicians; many have been directed by George Csicsery, whose first film about a mathematician, N is a Number, has become a classic.
Please see the list of films below that are for sale or viewable on our web site. We think that each has something interesting for mathematicians and non-mathematicians alike! We hope you'll watch some -- and enjoy them.
The following films are for sale as DVDs:
- Counting from Infinity: Yitang Zhang and the Twin Prime Conjecture (2015): Order Form
- Counting from Infinity - Bonus Material (view online)
Streaming Video and Media Files
An Introduction to MSRI
New Horizons in Undergraduate Mathematics
Critical Issues in Mathematics Education
- February 2016: Observing, Evaluating and Improving Mathematics Teaching from the Early Grades through the University
- April 2015: Developmental Mathematics: For whom? Toward what ends?
- April 2014: The Role of the Mathematics Department in the Mathematical Preparation of Teachers
April 2013: Assessment of Mathematical Proficiencies in the Age of the Common Core
March 2012: Teacher Education in View of the Common Core
May 2011: Mathematical Education of Teachers
June 2010: Reasoning and Sense-Making in the Math Curriculum
- May 2009: Teaching Undergraduates Mathematics
- May 2008: Critical Issues in Education Workshop: Teaching and Learning Algebra
- May 2007: Critical Issues in Education: Teaching Teachers Mathematics
- May 2006: Raising the Floor: Progress and Setbacks in the Struggle for Quality Mathematics Education for All
- May 2005: The Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching (K-8): Why, What and How?
- March 2004: Assessing Students' Mathematical Learning Issues, Costs and Benefits
Symposium on Global Warming: From Global Predictions to Local Action
- April 11, 2007: Public Symposium held at the Palace of Fine Arts Theatre
- April 12-13, 2007: Scientific Symposium
MSRI Biology Colloquium
- For a listing of all talks and their videos for our Biology Colloquium series, please see the Biology Colloquium page.
Other Special Events and Lectures
- October 26, 2014 - Celebration of Mind
- April 25, 2014 - Barry Mazur: A Lecture On Primes
Dec 17, 2013 - Cédric Villani: Of Triangles, Gas, Prices and Men
- October 3, 2011 - Bob Osserman and James Simons: From Math to Market and Back: A conversation with James Simons, founder of the fabled Medallion Fund
- June 2, 2010 - Opening Program of the Joint Meeting of the AMS & SMM, American Mathematical Society & Sociedad Matemática Mexicana
- January 26, 2008 - Christopher Taylor, David Benson, Robert Osserman, MSRI 25th Anniversary Special Event: Christopher Taylor in conversation with David Benson and Robert Osserman
- January 17, 2008 - Alan Alda and Robert Osserman, M*A*T*H: Alan Alda in conversation with Bob Osserman
- May 17 to May 18, 2007 - Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory presents Gulliver Multiscale Bioimaging Workshop
- March 25, 2006 - Robbert Dijkgraaf, The Quantum Geometry of String Theory
- March 6, 2006 - Sir Roger Penrose, Twistor Theory, Old and New
- March 5, 2006 - Sir Roger Penrose, Fashion, Faith and Fantasy in Modern Physical Theory
- March 3, 2006 - Chern Hall Dedication, Matmos in Concert, A Musical Enigma; Matmos Meets Turing
- March 2, 2006 - Sir Roger Penrose, Simons Auditorium Inaugural Lecture: Before the Big Bang
- September 22, 2005 - Richard Tapia, A Lifetime of Diversity: Challenges, Successes and Rewards
- September 22, 2005 - Richard Tapia, On Sizing and Shifting the BFGS Update within the Sized-Broyden Family of Secant Updates
- March 19, 1997 - T.Y. Lam, Irving Kaplansky, Tom Lehrer and others, Irving "Kap" Kaplansky's 80th Birthday Celebration
- December 1994 - Bernd Sturmfels, Twenty-First Holiday Symposium: Gröbner Bases and Convex Polytopes
- July 28, 1993 - Fermat's Last Theorem - The Theorem and Its Proof: An Exploration of Issues and Ideas