People who do and use mathematics often have fascinating stories and adventures to tell related to their work; and partly because their work itself is often hard for non-mathematicians to comprehend, these stories can have a special interest. Sometimes mathematicians' experiences are as unusual as those of the homeless but much-loved and celebrated Paul Erdős; sometimes their adventures are as unusual as astronaut Michael Foale's rescuing of the Mir space station.
As part of MSRI's commitment to telling the story of mathematics, we have produced a number of films about mathematicians; many have been directed by George Csicsery, whose first film about a mathematician, N is a Number, has become a classic.
Please see the list of films below that are for sale or viewable onour web site. We think that each has something interesting for mathematicians and non-mathematicians alike! We hope you'll watch some -- and enjoy them.
The following films are for sale as DVDs:
- Counting from Infinity: Yitang Zhang and the Twin Prime Conjecture (2015)
- Order Form
- Counting from Infinity - Bonus Material (view online)
streaming videos and other media of our regular workshops, please visit our main video page.
Streaming Video and Media Files
An Introduction to MSRI
New Horizons in Undergraduate Mathematics
Critical Issues in Mathematics Education
- April 2015: Developmental Mathematics: For whom? Toward what ends?
- April 2014: The Role of the Mathematics Department in the Mathematical Preparation of Teachers
April 2013: Assessment of Mathematical Proficiencies in the Age of the Common Core
March 2012: Teacher Education in View of the Common Core
May 2011: Mathematical Education of Teachers
June 2010: Reasoning and Sense-Making in the Math Curriculum
- May 2009: Teaching Undergraduates Mathematics
- May 2008: Critical Issues in Education Workshop: Teaching and Learning Algebra
- May 2007: Critical Issues in Education: Teaching Teachers Mathematics
- May 2006: Raising the Floor: Progress and Setbacks in the Struggle for Quality Mathematics Education for All
- May 2005: The Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching (K-8): Why, What and How?
- March 2004: Assessing Students' Mathematical Learning Issues, Costs and Benefits
Symposium on Global Warming: From Global Predictions to Local Action
- April 11, 2007: Public Symposium held at the Palace of Fine Arts Theatre
- April 12-13, 2007: Scientific Symposium
MSRI Biology Colloquium
- For a listing of all talks and their videos for our Biology Colloquium series, please see the main Biology Colloquium page
Other Special Events and Lectures
- October 26, 2014 - Celebration of Mind
- April 25, 2014 - Barry Mazur: A Lecture On Primes
Dec 17, 2013 - Cédric Villani: Of triangles, gas, prices and men
- October 3, 2011 - Bob Osserman and James Simons, From Math to Market and Back: A conversation with James Simons, founder of the fabled Medallion Fund Simons interview
- June 2, 2010 - Opening Program of the Joint Meeting of the AMS & SMM, American Mathematical Society & Sociedad Matemática Mexicana
- January 26, 2008 - Christopher Taylor, David Benson, Robert Osserman, MSRI 25th Anniversary Special Event: Christopher Taylor in conversation with David Benson and Robert Osserman
- January 17, 2008 - Alan Alda and Robert Osserman, M*A*T*H: Alan Alda in conversation with Bob Osserman
- May 17 to May 18, 2007 - Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory presents Gulliver Multiscale Bioimaging Workshop
- March 25, 2006 - Robbert Dijkgraaf, The quantum geometry of string theory
- March 6, 2006 - Sir Roger Penrose, Twistor Theory, Old and New
- March 5, 2006 - Sir Roger Penrose, Fashion, Faith and Fantasy in Modern Physical Theory
- March 3, 2006 - Chern Hall Dedication, Matmos in Concert, A Musical Enigma; Matmos Meets Turing
- March 2, 2006 - Sir Roger Penrose, Simons Auditorium Inaugural Lecture: Before the Big Bang
- September 22, 2005 - Richard Tapia, A Lifetime of Diversity: Challenges, Successes and Rewards
- September 22, 2005 - Richard Tapia, On Sizing and Shifting the BFGS Update within the Sized-Broyden Family of Secant Updates
- March 19, 1997 - T.Y. Lam, Irving Kaplansky, Tom Lehrer and others, Irving "Kap" Kaplansky's 80th Birthday Celebration
- December 1994 - Bernd Sturmfels, Twenty-First Holiday Symposium: Gröbner Bases and Convex Polytopes
- July 28, 1993 - Fermat's Last Theorem - The Theorem and Its Proof: An Exploration of Issues and Ideas